If you were at Comic Con 2017 and watching the Marvel booth you’re probably already aware that Micheal Rooker showed up in a surprise appearance to promote Guardians of the Galaxy: vol 2 on blu-ray. It was a Mary Poppins worthy entrance, appropriate given that his “I’m Mary Poppins Y’all!” has become the catchphrase of summer 2017. It’s a special entrance for the studio’s first 4K High Definition release that promises enhanced color, sound, and picture. The blu-ray itself is full of fun features, unique extras and much more, showing up to surprise folks just like Rooker did at the Marvel booth.
While you can’t win a “Poppins Yondu” umbrella from buying the DVD (unlike those lucky folks at comic con) You can take home a blu-ray chocked full of incredible features including:
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
The digital copy will also include some extra special features including:
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process of bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.
If you want to get your hands on those sweet bonus features you won’t need an anulax battery, but you will need to buy the blu-ray or 4K-Ultra release. Don your finest Guardians gear and head out to your local purveyor of fantastic goods to get your hands on it. You don’t have to look as good as these folks, but it might help. (who can honestly say?)
For fans of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 the DVD release trailer felt like a throwback to our childhoods. Like something you’d see on your VHS copy of Mulan or Lion King, the Guardians DVD release trailer is an homage to the late 80s early 90s years of television and cinema melding together. It’s got two announcers, baby groot, and even – a secret viral message?
Yes, the Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2 phone number actually plays a secret message. A throwback to the days of waiting to order things from the telephone. It’s something you’ve gotta hear to describe but it’s a nice homage to an era that Marvel is honoring in its film and media. Color, sounds, and the right amount of nostalgia, just like a throwaway line in a film about a blue skinned ravager being compared to a beloved children’s nanny.
Ready to pick up your copy? Did you dial the number? Seriously give it a call. Trust us. You won’t re-groot it.
Peter Quill and his fellow Guardians are hired by a powerful alien race, the Sovereign, to protect their precious batteries from invaders. When it is discovered that Rocket has stolen the items they were sent to guard, the Sovereign dispatch their armada to search for vengeance. As the Guardians try to escape, the mystery of Peter’s parentage is revealed.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 has a blu-ray and DVD release date of August 22nd, 2017